Leaf Prints

Leaf imprints, soft gel, acrylic glaze testing. Substrate: Old book paper.

Testing acrylic glaze and soft gel using leaves from our japanese maple tree. To do the test, I used a very old book paper from a book about postage stamps so that it would absorb stuff {or not} without any sort of protective coating.

This is the soft gel test. Top leaf, put leaf on paper and then painted gel over the leaf to use the leaf as a mask. Bottom leaf, painted the leaf with soft gel and then used a brayer to press the leaf into the paper to transfer the gel to the paper in the shape of a leaf. 

This is the glaze test. Left leaf, put leaf on paper and then painted gel over the leaf to use the leaf as a mask. Right leaf, painted the leaf with glaze and used a brayer to press the leaf into the paper to transfer the glaze to the paper in the shape of a leaf. 

After letting the fluids dry for about 1/2 hour I painted a coat of gouache to see what worked best of the four experiments. I expected the glaze to work better than it did - I've used glaze before on old book pages and it usually looks great. The winner was using the maple leaf as a mask and painting around the leaf with soft gel. The edges look especially interesting where the gouache gathered.

Leaf imprints. Substrate: 3x5" index cards.

Painted background with india ink & heavy body acrylics. Painted maple leaf with heavy body acrylics. Made several leaf imprints on top of each other with brayer.

Painted background with heavy body acrylics, dripped alcohol inks. Painted leaf with acrylics, made leaf imprint using brayer.

Painted background with india ink and alcohol inks. Painted maple leaf with heavy body acrylics. Made several leaf imprints on top of each other with brayer.

Pressed leaf against paper to use it as a mask. Painted around leaf with soft gel {like in the leaf-on-old-book experiment} and then removed leaf. Painted with gouache. Gouache soaks in where gel was not applied.

News: Zine #11 is available now!