Double Take {With Natasha} #2

"Natasha's Challenge"

THE PLAN:

Natasha White and I challenged each other to create art journal pages with duplicate sets of ephemera plus free use of Golden heavy body acrylics, Golden fluid acrylics, Caran D'Ache Neocolor II wax crayons, a black marker and matte medium.

  1. I made two sets of materials and mailed one off to Natasha in New Zealand. 
  2. We created art journal pages from those materials. You can see the first set of pages we made in this post.
  3. Natasha maiiled me an envelope of goodies. 
  4. We developed art journal pages using the same ephemera.
  5. These are the pages I made with Natasha's ephemera.
  6. Click over to see Natasha's second set of pages here.

The rules? Use all of the materials in the bag, although they could be cut up as we wished. We could use acrylic paint, neocolors, adhesive, ink and marker. We could add no additional ephemera.

130125_tea_0014.jpg

The materials for Natasha's challenge: tissue papers with bird images, postage stamps, 3 gem stickers, a sparkly  dragonfly sticker, orange patterned cardstock, flower patterned cardstock, tea-stained fabric, book text in two languages.

The first thing that jumped out at me was... the three gems. I'd never used anything like that on my pages. And the Mother Teresa stamp! A dragonfly? How on earth would I pull this all together cohesively?

If you have seen a lot of my art journal pages, you know that I use a lot of bright colors, not earth tones. But I knew right away this this page called for just that. Browns. I'd just purchased my first container of Van Dyke Brown heavy body acrylic and it was put to immediate use. I flipped through The Noticing Journal, a hardback book I've been altering for about a year. One of the pages had a purple background with white writing that I wasn't really digging, so I started with that page. You can see a little of the purple peeking through.

130212_bday_0017.jpg
130212_bday_0019.jpg

After painting part of the background in brown, purple, blue, white and cream, I cut up the pieces in my challenge kit and started gluing them to the page with matte medium. I looked at everything as a puzzle that I needed to put together. Each item became simply texture and pattern rather than whatever it really was. Ultimately I cut some of the book text and patterned papers into square boxes and stripes. 

130212_bday_0020.jpg

 I thought about what Mother Teresa might recommend for us and I looked at the dark browns on the page and saw glimmers of beauty and light in the sparkly dragonfly and other spots.

"In the dark corners... find beauty."

130212_bday_0021.jpg
130212_bday_0022.jpg

I used the stained fabric in several ways. Seeing that one layer of the fabric was thin enough to see through, I decided to play with that a bit. To build on the dark theme of the page and give it a bit of mystery, I placed the cotton fabric over one of the stamps. I also folded and stapled fabric to the page under one of the flowers cut from the cardstock to give the page more dimension and texture.

Adding more paint, neocolors, doodling with white uniball marker... and the pages were finished. 

What a transformation!