CatchPhrase: A Challenge to Use Words in Your Art
Hi everyone! It's been a busy few weeks! I'm attempting to write more of my "sci fi" novel in little sputters and spurts of uneven energy - which is frustrating - so art to the rescue ~ a great way to refuel & rejuvenate my energy and make sense of the chaotic swirl of words floating around the stratosphere.
Index cards have taken over the dining room table with gouache-related gear, magic markers, journals sharing space with telephone bills, postage stamps, an SAT prep book, a turquoise bluetooth waterproof speaker, an empty coffee mug...
Anyhow... I've been scheming up a new challenge! If you are like me it's always a bit of a quandary to settle on what to do each month. There are challenges at every turn, left right, backwards, forwards. You can time travel around the year by hopping from challenge-to-challenge, methinks! Whatever motivates YOU to accomplish what YOU want to do is a good thing. If you are like me, you definitely want to keep the swoosh of creativity going, KEEP creating and KNOW how good it feels to create almost every day.
Write this in your planner.
August ☞ #dycatchphrase
To get right to the point, this is about incorporating words + art.
Simply incorporate word//words
in your sketches, journal pages
or index card art
As you guys know, I'm a word lover to the core - so I'll provide ideas & tips for approaching this from different angles
Use words in your art
- The challenge officially starts August 1st. The goal is to create 26 journal pages or index cards that contain words in some way, shape or form. You can do this challenge over the course of one month or two months --- choose a timeframe that works best for you and the work that you want to do.
- I'll post 26 prompts [optional, folks] on Saturday July 29 at 🌻 Daisy Yellow, instagram and the Daisy Yellow group at FB.
- Include words somewhere//somehow. They DO NOT have to be the focus of the art. You don't have to draw the words. Clip a phrase from a magazine or snag one from a fortune cookie. Teeny tiny. Whispered in pencil. Obscured with paint. Exaggerated. Elegant. Titles. Elements of a collage. Your creative work can be JUST words or it can be ABOUT words. YOU choose. 🔚
- Along the way, I'll share ideas for you to explore. This is a BRILLIANT way to get more familiar & comfy with words as a component of your art.
- You can try 26 different ideas, or one concept x 26 variations! Mine your magazines for interesting typography. Explore hand-lettering. Use alphabet stamps!
- At instagram tag your work #dycatchphrase and #daisyyellowart when you post. Follow me at instagram too!
Sounds like fun!!! Definitely join us for the ride! Do not let it go, hold on to it like it is GOLD!!! Keep your creativity flowing!