"Design is the conscious effort
to impose a meaningful order."
This month, a list of six (6) experiments for your contemplation.
Find an hour each week.
Two hours is better.
Or a little bit each day, that'll work.
Screw the laundry. Screw the dishes.
We don't need to do ALL of the experiments.
We don't have to "do" anything with art or words we create.
Creating is the goal.
The September Experiments
For tracking purposes, each experiment is valued at one creativity point unless otherwise noted.
♥ Carry a notebook with you for a month, adding notes, scribblings, to-do's, sketches, doodles, coffee stains and whatever you wish. Inspiration at 2 Years, 85 Notebooks by Michael Bierut via The Design Observer Group.
♥ Volunteer to coordinate or assist with a school or non-profit organization's art/craft project.
♥ One day this month, write a thoughtful description of 5 sounds that you encounter. The squeak of your car window as it opens, your kid humming the theme from The Jetsons, the clink of coffee mugs at the diner. Compare the sound to something else. I remember ages ago in M*A*S*H when Hawkeye was temporarily blinded, he said that the rain sounded like bacon frying.
♥ Create an itunes playlist or mix CD with 15 songs that make you feel just right. [I'll share mine too!]
♥ Sketch the perfect backpack or purse in pen/ink, as a diagram or in words. Where will everything go? What fabric? Hidden pockets? Anti-theft invisible ink spray? Describe the details that make it perfect, including inventions that don't yet exist.
♥ Read four (4) books this month, fiction or non-fiction. Finishing the book(s) you have already started COUNTS, folks. I know this idea is going to initially freak you out, but there are tips and incentives at Modernerd. (2 points)
This is a personal challenge, not a competition:
- Decide how many experiments you want to do this month as your personal goal
- Work toward your goal
- Grab an ART=HAPPY badge and share the love.
- Post completed experiments, in photos or words, on your site and leave the link in the comments
Add creativity to your life, one idea at a time. Check out the other creative experiments!
A few of the posts from the August experiments:
- Syda of Kreative Notions shared her experiment in writing about the meaning of music in your life
- Jeswel described her August experiments
- Deb from storybeader created a story about a guy in line at the grocery store
- sunnysidey documented her creative month in a photo mosaic