"It is the job of poetry to clean up
our word-clogged reality
by creating silences around things."
~ Stephen Mallarme
No doubt the swirlies in the margins of your staff meeting notes and the 3D hearts scribbled on the phone with Aunt Jemima are cool. But if you've run out of designs to draw, it's time to expand your doodle repetoire, starting with an inspiration search. Keeping in mind the copyright laws, we need to find inspiration and use it as a base, not to duplicate.
10 Spots for Doodle Inspiration:
- Photoshop Patterns - Linear Geometrics, B&W Geometrics, Concentric Circles, Thai Designs
- Graffiti - Inspiredology, 3D Street Art, Create Your Own
- Icon Sets - Fruttabuona, Black + Blue
- Wrought Iron - Garden Gates, Doors, Iron Artwork
- Stained Glass - Windows, Designs
- Mexican Talavera Pottery - Plates, Platters, Tile, Suns
- Vintage Wallpaper - Geometrics, Retro Kitchen, 70s Wallpaper
- Photoshop Brushes - Celtic Knots, Alchemy Symbols, Paisley
- Light Fixtures - Modern Chandelier, Pendant
- The Beach - Sand Dollars
10 Bonus Spots!
- Doodlers Anonymous
- Teesha Moore's Daily Drawing Journal
- Illustration Friday
- The Flickr Doodle Art group
- Lab Partners
- Book Cover Archive
- Ephemera Assemblyman (no longer updated)
- A Collection a Day 2010
Try brainstorming a list of places you go for inspiration... here's my mind map!
Where do you find your doodle inspiration?